Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Peanut free snack ideas for the classroom

My daughter's birthday is this Friday and I called her daycare and asked about bringing in a treat to celebrate. I was warned that there is a child with a peanut allergy, so no cake or cupcakes were allowed. I was shocked that bakery items even had trace amounts of peanuts but found through research it's because they are made in a place where other peanut items are also made. This little known fact opened my eyes as I launched an internet search for peanut-free snack ideas for my daughter's birthday celebration.

Here is a great article for all of us not familiar with peanut allergies and how many foods we don't even realize have trace amounts of nuts:

If Your Child DOESN'T Have Allergies: Read This!
http://www.yummymummysite.com/index.cfm?PID=16916&PIDList=16915,15873,16916

Here is a list of snack ideas from a school. I can't imagine what schools are going through now that allergies are at an all-time high.

Peanut free snack suggestions:
http://www.walledlake.k12.mi.us/llake/peanut_free_snack_suggestions.htm

I think I have decided on Kroger brand ice cream sandwiches. But I still need to check the label for that specific package as even different factories have different products being made there and could possibly have peanut items.

Wow. I am thankful that so far my kids don't have a peanut allergy.

So next time you look to buy vanilla ice cream for a party with kids with allergies present, think again. Nuts are found a lot in many ice cream flavors so even the nut free flavors could contain it. Check the label!

Also, Oreos and Chips Ahoy cookies are good.

No comments: