Sunday, August 12, 2007

It's not easy being green.

I saw an Inconvenient Truth a few months ago. It was disturbing and I think there really is something negative going on our planet that we have caused.

At the end of the doc, they tell you ways that you can make a difference in your daily lives. I liked that and was comforted to know that we have already been doing many green things for a few years.

Use an automated thermostat. Recycle. Reduce trips out. Run the dishwasher and laundry at night. Replace energy efficient lightbulbs when your old ones burn out. Wrap your water heater. Replace air filters regularly. Telecommute. Insulate your home. Use energy efficient appliances. Check. Check. Check. Check. Check. Check.

I don't have an energy efficient car now although I had a VW Jetta that rocked and was efficient.

I was disturbed to know that you shouldn't rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I'm a rinser. I admit it and it's a habit I cannot break. Maybe because our frickin' dishwasher will not rinse everything and I end up having to wash it.

Other things I didn't know - unplug electronic devices as they use energy even when turned off. Computers, hairdryers, cellphone chargers, tvs and the like.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the documentary, it's worth seeing. And for more ways to make changes in our daily lives, check out these sites:

http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/

http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/

No comments: