Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A New Mom the Second Time Around

The Second Time's the Charm!

When I had my first daughter, I felt a wild hormonal mix of elation and anxiety as I tried to figure out how to care for my newborn. I thought that she was so fragile that she could break and I was afraid to change her clothes. Her cries ripped at my heart and my blood pulsed heavily through my body as I tried to determine the cause of my sweetheart's discomfort. It eventually got better and I was soon a pro or at least semi-pro by the time she was a few months old.

There is good news for moms pregnant with your second born if you felt the same way: the second time around, I feel more a mix of hormones, elation and energy. I am more confident in handling my second daughter and I am more patient and calm when she is upset and fussy. It is still tough - the sleep depravation still exists, finding time for my husband is challenging and now I have a preschooler to tend to as well as a newborn, but I am definitely stronger this time around. My family is growing and so have I!

My husband and I are very proud of our family and are baffled that we have come so far from the teenagers we were when we met. It is important to have time as a couple, a family and as individuals.

Anyway, back to parenting the second time around. Trying to communicate with and listen to my daughter as she communicates with me is an important part of the parenting process.

Which is why yesterday's Oprah had such an impact on me.

A guest on the show has studied cries of newborns and has determined five essential messages that babies communicate by instinct. Check out the video and details for yourself. If you have a child from 0-3 months, this is a must-see/must-read. I am already deciphering differences in my daughter's cries and it makes all the difference.

Here are the links and good luck!

The Secret Language of Babies on Oprah
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200611/tows_past_20061113.jhtml

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_101.jhtml

Watch the video of babies and their different cries
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_102.jhtml

The Dunstan Baby Language DVD - order your copy at www.dunstanbaby.com.

No comments: