Monday, March 28, 2005

Jake Ryan - Maybe I'm Interested In More Than a Party?

I am 34 years old. I am watching 16 Candles and I feel like I'm 16 all over again. Is it me or are our high school days never really behind us? And what with the gossip?

In last night's Desperate Houswives episode, Lynette faces gossipy parents creating scapegoat problem children and Bree realizes the shallowness of her usually guilty pleasure - her country club. And yes, I know it is a soap. A glorious scandal-worshiping soap. But, in reflection to our real life, is it that far from reality?

We live in a gossip centric society. We just cannot rest until we know exactly what happened between Brad and Jen. And what exactly did Charlie do to warrant a quick divorce filing from his much pregnant wife?

I am guilty of gossip obsession myself. Since my coworker started bringing in In Touch Weekly and Us Weekly, I have become addicted to gossip mags. True to my Entertainment Weekly, I took pride in the fact that my interests were purely entertainment - in TV, movies, books, all traditional mediums. But since reading those purely gossipy mags, I am finding myself more interested in that crap. Celebrity watch 2005! Who is in? Who is out? Who is broken up? Who is together? Who cares?

So, back to Jake. Jake Ryan was and is the quintessential hottie. I watch this former GQ model and think, Jake Ryan was the ideal for girls. A senior. A prep. A Porsche driver. With a heart. I hear the Thompson Twins song start and I have visions of birthday cake, candles and a kiss with a possible bridesmaid dress lighting on fire. He is the reason my best friends kids are named Jake and Ryan. Will my generation ever outgrow this crush? I remember an essay that my girlfriend sent me about Jake. It was right on. It was in the Washington Post: Real Men Can't Hold a Match to Jake Ryan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A41194-2004Feb13?language=printer

Maybe we are all interested in more than a party.

Maybe everyone on this planet has gone totally outer limits, to quote Samantha Baker. Oh well. That's just my thought for tonight and I'm sticking to it. Oh yea, and 24 rocked. Keifer, you rule.

gurnage

No comments: